12.21.2010

owning your choices..

was going to blog something else but when I went to type my title discovered that this is what I want to talk about.

Choices.

We make them everyday.
Some good, some crappy.
in any case we have to own them...or we can't make new ones..
We'll just run in circles making the same choices.
Because we excuse them.
Our bad choices.
Leaving an opening to repeat the same mistakes.
Instead of excusing them.
Saying
"Well, If this or that hadn't happened I wouldn't have been FORCED to do this or that.
Own it.
and then the next time that 'thing' comes around...you have experience, awareness and ultimately
A new decision made
On your side.
For instance.
You (I) skip breakfast.
I am going to be somewhere for four hours. (the other day at homeschool enrichment)
consequently food choices have been taken out of my hand by none other than myself.
So I end up eating a donut for 250 calories that didn't fill me up and didn't contribute to my health goals. I may have stayed under my calorie cap.
But I ate something that caused sugar cravings for the rest of the day.
A poor choice.
And avoidable.
Own it.
Don't excuse it.
and make a conscious decision that on the next go round, you take a granola bar or piece of fruit.
You know you are going to eat a large meal.
Don't eat a large breakfast.
Go light till dinner and leave yourself some calories.
Same works in relationships.
You know your mom pushes your buttons.
Avoid the button pushing comments.
You can't avoid that person.
SEt rules and boundaries about what you will or won't allow.
Say, You say such and thus and this conversation is over.
emotional buttons are eating triggers.
So are past hurts.
Every day is a new day.
walked today cause I didn't make it to the gym.
I got my exercise in under less than stellar conditions.
Tomorrow it's to the gym.
My next weigh in will be on new years day.
I am still 146 in the morning and 148 at night.
Hoping to be 147 on New years day.
and normal by my birthday on March 17th.
The sprint begins on December 26th.
Have a great week guys.
Hang in there.
Hugs,
Chris

11 comments:

Red Shoes said...

Yes... choices and free will... will we always make the right decision? Will we always make the decision that is best for us

~shoes~

Lanie said...

As I tell my daughter every day when the bus comes . . . "make good choices!" And she usually does. Why can't I? Thanks for reminding me :)

Karen Butler Ogle said...

So true. If we don't own it, we can never change it.

Joy said...

This post is so good. Frankly I'm tired of my excuses, I'm ready to face what is and make better choices!!

I know you will make your goals. Chris you have what it takes!!!! Keep focused!!

MargieAnne said...

Hi Chris.

I just wanted to tell you I have broken through my stall and like you expect to weigh in lighter after Christmas than I do now.

I have had to make some serious choices. Isn't that always the way.

The breaking point was my health. I couldn't lose weight to look better, I will no doubt but that wasn't a big issue, I don't have grandchildren I want to play with so the only reason I had to make good choices was to improve my health.

My doctor said something that set red lights flashing and I realised that my behaviour and choices were responsible for my uncomfortable symptoms and fatigue.

Starches and sugars are no longer good choices for me. This could well be for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your Blog, your clarity of expression, integrity and always encouraging.

Christine said...

@ margieanne,
When it comes right down to it...grandchildren aside, looks aside.
It is for our health. I am so glad you moved forward and are doing it.
congratulations.

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

So true Chris its soooo true. And its not my moms fault, really it is mine, since that is how I programmed myself to deal with her. And setting boundaries with anyone is still something I am working on. Lots of love

Retta said...

You are so right about wanting to excuse our poor choices. We even do that with each other... saying "nice" stuff to soften it. Probably because we have done it so many times ourselves, and we know how much they are hurting already, so we say nicey nice stuff to try to make them feel better.

I wonder... maybe we would be nicer by agreeing it was a crummy choice, for sure, and not gloss it over. But then encourage them that NEXT time, it CAN be better. So like you said, by owning it, they are free to not be a victim of staying stuck...

Well, once again, you got me a-thinking. Good post, on a vitally important subject.

Loretta
=^..^=

Robin said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving the comment. Unfortunately, I am not feeling well and I am owning it. I don't know how to handle it yet, but I am trying to figure it out. Thanks for the encouragement!

Putz said...

my choice today was to listen to your INTERESTING music

Christine said...

Well THANK YOU mr. putz. I love this song.