5.20.2011

In honor of the imminent destruction of space and time...

apparently we are either being raptured or killed in a cataclysmic earthquake...so, In honor of this momentous occasion I thought I would discuss something that makes things easier.

Habits.
Building habits over time can ensure success.
You tend to do what you have been doing.
Now, If we are all raptured tomorrow or killed in a cataclysmic earthquake the likes of which we have never seen....then ignore this.
If we aren't...then carry on.

There are a few habits I began right away when I started this whole journey.
The first was, I walked every day for the first month.
I wanted to make exercise a part of my daily routine.
I turned off the tv.
I wanted to make the television irrelevant to my life.
I wanted to be accountable about my daily caloric intake.
So I bought a scale and measuring devices and logged my calories.

Now I am going to start my day in prayer and reflection ...probably with a quick walk in the mornings while listening to a downloaded sermon or some praise music.
It will get my mind right in regards to where my heart should be during the day..
I find if I am not proactive in this area, control of the tongue becomes much harder.
Then I intend to end my day in prayer...
I have started making a prayer list not only for my loved ones and acqaintences..but for people who vex me...and people I really can't stand.
My good friend mary ellen made a point the other day that can't be ignored.
What difference does it make if you don't say it, if you are thinking it.
Now...I believe we reinforce negative ideas by speaking them...repeatedly.
Have you ever noticed how much more righteous and angry you get while repeating a wrong done to you?
Repeating the wrong to a sympathetic crowd can really work you into an excitable state..
But as someone once said "It's hard to HATE  a person once you've started praying for them".

And to be honest, I wouldn't know, because I have NEVER done it....So, this should be interesting.
So, I am hoping that by making spiritual reflection, solitude,  and prayer time a part of my daily routine...time with God...I will begin to shape up my insides as well as my outsides...

Now for a poem:
The Habit Poem
I am your constant companion.
I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down to
failure.
I am completely at your command.
Half of the things you do you might as well turn
over to me and I will do them – quickly and
correctly.
I am easily managed – you must be firm with me.
Show me exactly how you want something done
and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically.
I am the servant of great people,
and alas, of all failures as well.
Those who are great, I have made great.
Those who are failures, I have made failures.
I am not a machine though
I work with the precision of a machine
plus the intelligence of a person.
You may run me for profit or run me for ruin -
it makes no difference to me.
Take me, train me, be firm with me, and
I will place the world at your feet.
Be easy with me and I will destroy you.
Who am I? I am Habit.
Have a great night guys...
And if I don't see you here, I'll see you there! ;o)
Chris out.

14 comments:

Alexia said...

So Vex Kitty would never ever make it to heaven ever and has no interest of repenting :)

Christine said...

oh vex kitty....time for the asbestos suit bud. lololol.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

OMGOSH! LOVE LOVE LOVE that poem! I might steal it... :)

Retta said...

Oooh, that's a hard one... praying for those you DON'T like. I must admit I find that hard, and rarely do it with much consistency.
Well, and that list could get a might bit long, ha ha ha!

downsizers said...

Your wisdom and honesty are very encouraging to me. I love reading your words each time because you have a maturity of thought that comes from living and learning. You seem to be very practical and can discern truth. I plan to link to this post because of the poem about habits. It captures the topic perfectly. Thank you for posting it.

Rebecca said...

Spot on! I've gotten OUT of some of these "habits". You've inspired me...and like you said, "I'll see you here or there or in the air!"

Anne H said...

Very good!
And it's always been nice to "know" you -
You're one of my faves!

Amber said...

Going to try again. Commented last night but my computer had other ideas and would not let me comment.

Anyway, starting and ending the day with God is I think just how He wants it to be.

Enjoyed the poem too!

Enjoy those morning walks, maybe I'll run into you here and there in the am! (I need to get back out there)

As always a good post Chris!

Quiltingranny said...

Christine amazing post! I pray for the people on my list when I am riding my stationary bike, it keeps me focused on prayer and not pain. You are so right, the more we speak about the wrongs, the more we want to, however, in order to be prayed for, sometimes we must ask. I recently had a hurt and through prayer, it is over. Love the TV thing, I rarely watch it! Would love to have some suggestions for breakfasts, lunches and dinners, I have come to a stand still!
Blessings and if it is His will, I will hear from you soon!

Joy said...

Once again, great post!!! What you are saying about praying for those who you don't like is so true. One day you will will be overcome with love for them. It's amazing!!

I gave you an award today!!!

I'll talk to you TOMORROW!!!

Keep focused!

Maria Bloodwell said...

"I am the terrible Trivium, demon of petty tasks and worthless jobs, ogre of wasted effort, and monster of habit." Do you best to avoid this fellow or you may end up failing at all you attempt. Good for you, for succesfully breaking unfortunate habits thus far.

downsizers said...

Chris - please read my post about a new award on Sunday (May 22) - I am giving you a new award that I think this post deserves.

Unknown said...

It is sooo true.
When people make me angry or bug me, something that helps me is to find a way to serve that person. It's not always easy but I have found it is the fastest way to turn my heart towards someone and change my perception of them. We love those whom we serve.


Starting At 500 Pounds

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

OOOOOHHHHH! God is gonna bless you! During my 4-year anguishing custody court battle, I decided (Well, God decided) I should start praying for my ex. Not too hard. He's a nice bloke. It's when I had to start praying for his expletive new wife - THAT was hard. But over time, I have come to realise that she has had such a hard life! She's mean because no one has ever loved her the way she needs. She's mean because that's how she was raised! How sad for her. I really truely and honestly pray that Jesus opens her heart and softens it because how wonderful she would be if she only let's Him in. Now I care for her, even when she is mean to me ( and I mean MEAN). But I have found love in my heart for this woman who tortures me by her words and actions. It's interesting. Only God's kind of love can do that. God will bless you. HUGS!!!